Topic 6: MODAL VERB FOR MAKING REQUEST


Modal verb 'will' and 'would' can be used to make request. 
Example:
(1) Will you sit here, please?
(2) Would you sit here, please?
(3) Would you mind sitting here, please?
The above three requests are arranged according to the degree of politeness, ending with the most polite.
The last form is also used when we want someone not to do something: "would you mind not smoking in this room?"
Modal verb 'can' and 'might ' are considered more polite.
Example:
(1) Can you wait here, please?
(2) Could you wait here, please?
(3) May I come in?
(4) Might I come in?

Exercise
Rewrite each of these sentences in a more polite form by changing the modal verb.
1.   Can you tell me the time, please?
2. Will you help me to push the car?
3. May I borrow your eraser for a while?
4. Can I take a look at your note-book, please?
5. May I know your address?

Answer:
1. Could you tell me the time, please?
2. Would you help me push the car?
3. Might I borrow your eraser for a while?
4. Could I take a look at your note-book, please?
5. Might I know your adress? 

source: practical english grammar

 

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Organisasi Pergerakan Bersifat Moderat & Radikal

Pembahasan Soal Probabilitas dan Statistika [Probabilitas Populasi, Mean, dan Standar Deviasi]

Pembahasan Soal Probabilitas dan Statistika [Hipotesis]